R-SCAN Results OCT 2018
Imaging 3.0 Case Studies
The Radiology Support and Alignment Network (R-SCAN) Imaging 3.0 Case Studies highlight how practices across the country have implemented R-SCAN and their success achieving improvements in high-value imaging care.
View the PDF of case studies and resources for referring clinicians.
- Ordering Done Right
A nurse practitioner and a Lean Six Sigma expert teamed up to reduce low-value nuclear stress tests ordered at a VA clinic.
- In Sync
Radiologists and emergency department (ED) physicians use R-SCAN to bolster their relationship and improve imaging appropriateness for pediatric patients
- Engaging the Physician
Using R-SCAN, radiologists collaborate with family medicine clinics to enhance imaging appropriateness of lumbar spine orders.
- Quality’s Wider Scope
A co-management agreement helps one North Carolina radiology practice achieve its quality goals.
- Homing in on Quality
Radiologists in rural western North Carolina strengthen their relationships with local physicians and reduce inappropriate imaging via R-SCAN.
- Backed by Guidance
Hershey Medical Center’s R-SCAN project decreases inappropriate low back pain imaging and utilization in the ED.
- Partners in Quality
Radiologists and ED physicians collaborate using R-SCAN to achieve a 45% improvement in appropriate CT ordering for pulmonary embolism.
- Shaping Change from Within
Using R-SCAN as a transformation tool, a radiology group reduces inappropriate follow-up imaging by nearly 55% for patients with ovarian masses.
- The Benefits of Collaboration
Radiologists and ED physicians partner on an R-SCAN project — successfully reducing unnecessary imaging for pulmonary embolism by 52%.
- R-SCAN's Role to Promote Health Equality
Wang KY, et al. JACR April 2019.
- Reducing Inappropriate Lumbar Spine MRI for Low Back Pain: Radiology Support, Communication and Alignment Network
Wang KY, et al. JACR January 2018.
- R-SCAN Project Designed with Patients
Choosing Wisely Updates from the Field
Videos, Webinars and Podcasts
- BayHealth and Kent Radiology physicians discuss their experience improving imaging for low back pain in the emergency department
- R-SCAN Introduction and Baylor Medical Center’s R-SCAN collaboration with ED clinicians
- R-SCAN Overview and Baylor Medical Center’s R-SCAN collaboration with primary care clinicians
- ACR would like to thank all of the practices who have successfully completed an R-SCAN project.
Click here to see a list of R-SCAN practices.